Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Super Famicom



Just like many other gaming collectors, EBay is a wonderful though not perfect venue to get classic games and consoles.

Recently, I took a chance on a Super Famicom system which was untested and not in spectacular cosmetic condition (see photo). But the gaming gods smiled upon me and it works just fine.

There are two prominent reasons for me to own the Super Famicom. First, its me: this is what I do. The second, real reason is that it provides me an opportunity to own SNES titles I would never be able to experience due to regional coding.

As of now, I only own the Japanese version of Street Fighter 2, but as far as I can tell, by and large the cartridge, console and controller are similar to the US version. The Super Famicom, minus the cracks and holes, is a bit sleeker than its North American counterpart. The same can be said for the cartridges and the boxes they come in (which remind me of VHS boxes.) The controller is exactly the same with the noticeable exception of the colored buttons.


I'm only now becoming more active in collecting imported games/systems. Along with the Super Famicom, I own the Famicom and various systems that lack regional coding (such as my Virtual Boy.)

All in all, it was a decent purchase as my import collection continues to grow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had luck finding a working Famicom bro, you really struck gold on that one. Be sure to update with new games and reviews, I'm interested to hear what you can find out there.

    ReplyDelete